Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Family Vacation: Part 1

Whew!  We just returned from the most wonderful family vacation.  And, 1500 miles, 700 pictures, and 10 days later, we are finally starting to dig out of laundry and get up to speed on 'normal life'.  Before I begin to describe our journey into South Dakota, I need to send out some MAJOR props to my hubby.

My guy planned this trip!  He booked every reservation, planned outings while we were there, and knew just where to go for every stop along the way.  As you all know, my mind has been preoccupied lately and I just haven't been in my normal 'planning mode' for the past few months.  Well, Brandon knew that and he grabbed the reigns on this trip and took control of our summer family vacation!  And, not only did he plan it for our family, but our great friends traveled along with us this summer and he did it for them as well.  Brandon, I couldn't have imagined this vacation any better!  You are now the director of all of our family road trips...

Family Vacation: Part 1: Sioux Falls, SD

We started our trip early on Saturday morning and we were all so excited with the anticipation of what the week would hold for us on vacation.  We had our maps ready, the movies all lined up, car snacks, new monster trucks, coloring books and new markers, a new ninja turtle or two, and enough lives built up on Candy Crush to get this Momma through the 7 (or 8) hour drive to Sioux Falls, SD.  We even had Bella packed up with us and she was ready for the drive!

I have to admit right here, that I really do think my two little men are the best travelers ever.  I mean, really, we had absolutely NO arguments, quarrels, or upset kiddos for the entire time we were in the car (or adults for that matter)!  I guess it doesn't hurt that I sat in the back seat for our entire trip or that I had planned something new to do for every hour we were in the car...us Mommas, we know how to travel.


But, I'm not gonna lie, about two hours into the trip, Parker started asking 'how much longer' and 'when are we gonna be there' and 'when will we see Quinn and Kinsley'??


So, we answered his questions....'oh, about 5 hours' or 'we'll be eating lunch soon', etc.  And, it seemed to hold him off from answering for another 20 minutes or so.




Then, when we did arrive at our campground in Sioux Falls, well, let me tell you that these boys were soooo excited!  It was a Jellystone Park.  Home of Yogi Bear himself.








 The kids loved it.  We got there a little late for swimming, but don't worry, we worked in a round of miniature golf and had a lot of time to jump on the infamous 'jumping pillow'.








The highlight of the evening: Meeting up with our good friends, the Beatty's.  






And more miniature golf.








And, Quinn lost her first tooth!


Then more jumping on the pillow.







 And, by the end of the night all of us were worn out and ready for a good night of sleep in the camper.  My kids always sleep well in the camper.  I don't know if it's the sound of the fan running at night.  The bunk beds that they can't wait to get in.  The fact that we've worn them out so bad that they can't keep their eyelids open.  All I know is that Brandon and I are so thankful for this fact and it's one reason why we love to travel with the camper.





Up bright and early the next morning....we were headed for Hill City, SD.

More to come on that later.



















































No comments: