Monday, July 22, 2013

So Blessed



Before I overwhelm you with pictures and stories from our recent family vacation adventure, I need to say something.

Thank you.

Thank you to all of our friends and family who sent emails, Facebook and text messages, commented on the blog, and called to talk with me about what I'm now calling 'Andrew's learning curve'.  Your words, your kindness, your empathy, and your knowledge of what we're experiencing with Andrew has been a blessing to all of us.

When I wrote that post, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Would people think I was over the top with my thoughts and feelings?  Would people treat Andrew differently or would their interactions with him now be awkward?  Would people brush it off and not care? (Although, I should have known different.)  But for some reason, I was surprised by the responses I received.

We are so blessed.

Thank you for your honesty and your encouragement.  For sharing your stories about your own children about their 'learning curves' that I never knew about.  Thank you for your compassion and your thoughtfulness.

Throughout the past few weeks we've learned a few things.  First, this is going to be a long process for us.  Yes, Andrew is picking up on new skills every day.  But, some days it seems like we take two steps forward and three steps back.  We are learning how to be even more patient with our little man.  We have learned to accept advice and run with it.  What can it hurt?  We've learned acceptance.  Acceptance of the fact that, yes, Andrew is behind, but man what an amazing boy he is.  And, last, we've learned just how important Parker is in this process.  Andrew admires his brother.  He wants to always be with him....and this is what is helping Andrew the most.  Parker's influence.

We appreciate your kindness, your prayers, your encouragement, and most of all your care for our family.  We appreciate it more than you'll ever know.





No comments: