Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Being a Big Boy!

Parker continues to amaze us as he becomes a "big boy." There are many signs that he is a "big boy"- going potty on his own, brushing his teeth on his own, being able to dress himself, putting his shoes on the right feet (nicknamed Ralph for Right and Larry for Left), eating pizza that's not cut up, etc. There are many signs that our baby boy is not a baby anymore. With each milestone, Parker gets a little more independent and less reliant on us- which always makes me sad, but we're usually so caught up in the moment and the craziness that is our daily life, that we don't realize it's even happening! Well...yesterday I was buying "baby stuff" for Baby Brother, who will be here in 6 weeks, and I decided to buy Parker some different soap. This may not seem like a big deal, but Parker has been using the same Johnson and Johnson baby soap since the day he was born! So, while I bought Baby Brother his very own baby soap, I went to the big boy aisle and bought Parker some Raspberry Dazzle "boy" soap. I brought it home and when he took a shower with Dad last night (his newest favorite thing to do), I showed him his new soap. He was so excited that it made me stop and think about every way that my "big boy" has changed in the past year. From being potty trained (like an old pro) to having "boy" soap, it's all gone by so fast that it makes me sad to think that in 3 short years, Baby Brother will be as smart and independent as Parker is today. It's a good thing Parker still likes to hold my hand, tell me how much he loves me, blow me kisses and ask me to catch it and put it in my pocket for later, snuggle before bedtime, and best of all he shows me his special "I love you" sign that he's done since he was 18 months old! These things I know will change with time, for for RIGHT NOW, they are what I hold onto so that I know my first "baby boy" is still here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooke, I have always known you would be an amazing mom, and you are proving it every day. Thanks you for sharing you thoughts to us. Parker is blessed to have such a loving mother and father. I am proud of you Brooke Davis Riffle! We have come so far and are so blessed to have such amazing little people in our lives! Even though we have lost touch throughout the years I still feel like we will always know who (we) really are. The crazy lip singers to some "Does He Love Me, I wanna Know"! LOL Oh the times we used to have. Love ya Brooke! -Holly

Courtney Jeffries said...

I recently started buying Jax "big boy" soap, too after using the Johnson's baby bath FOREVER and had a similar revelation. I feel ya. :)