Thursday, September 12, 2013

Captain Underpants

I am overwhelmingly proud of my Andrew-Man.



Three weeks ago, we (with some encouragement from our daycare provider) decided to start potty training Andrew.




Just a few months shy of three years old, I thought it was a little early.  And, I'll admit, I was nervous.  Hesitant.  With the struggles we've had recently, I was a little scared and not very confident in what potty training would do for our little guy.




But, when our daycare provider said she wanted him to come back to her house from summer break with undies on, we thought that we'd better do it.  While we had the open door.




To be honest, I don't remember potty training Parker.  I think it's one of those things that I blocked out...one of those memories that you don't necessarily want to remember about raising boys.



So, I couldn't really remember what to do.  Do we have him sit on the toilet every twenty minutes?  Do we follow his lead and just go with it?  Do we bribe him with stickers, candy, and toys?  Do we shame him into going to the bathroom?  Do we make such a celebration out of going potty, that he will want to potty all the time?

The answer: All of the above.

We've definitely had our ups and downs throughout the past few weeks with this whole potty training thing.  But, I do believe, this past weekend, my Andrew-Man got it.



The consistent encouragement, gum ball prizes, stickers, and yep, even a few new toys, have paid off.

I think we can safely say that we are done with diapers. {Even though we still expect some accidents every now and then.)

And, this guy....well, I think he can now officially be called 'Captain Underpants'!

{Andrew loves to watch He-Man and play with Brandon's 30 year old He-Man toys.  This is his He-Man sword that we picked up at a neighbors garage sale. Can't you hear him saying: 'I have the POWER!'  Gotta love cartoons from the eighties!}





No comments: