Thursday, September 18, 2014

Why was I worried?

I love this time of year.

Not only is it cooling off outside, but it's the start of birthday season at our house....fall sports start up...we celebrate our anniversary {which is the big 1-0 this year!}, and it means that we are back on track with a school schedule.

I'm gonna be honest with you all today.

I was super worried about this guy going to preschool.



I wasn't worried about him following the rules.  I wasn't worried about him having fun or being excited to go every day.

But, I was worried about his speech.  About his teachers and his classmates understanding him.

There are moments when I see my little man around strangers {and sometimes people close to us} and he's a jabbering away and all they can do is nod their head in agreement, because they have no idea what he is talking about.  Usually I'm there to interpret for him.

But, not at preschool.

So, that first day, when I dropped him off, I was worried.  I felt like he was going in to deep water without a life jacket.

And, even after that first day, I had no idea what had happened....except that he loved playing outside and they had a granola bar for a snack {you know, the important parts of his day}.

I had no idea....that is, until that evening, when one of his teachers messaged me and  told me this:

Hi Brooke- I just want to let you know... Andrew did so good at preschool today! I got to know all about your dog and Grandma and Grandpa's dog. We talked about his favorite colors are blue, pink and green! He is going to be such a great member of the class! Hope you have a good evening! Jess

This little message meant the world to me.  Miss Jessica understood my Andrew-Man!  

Today we are meeting {once again} with the school district to map out Andrew's speech plan.  And, I have to admit that he's come a million miles in the past 18 months and I am so proud of this guy.  Long gone are the days of frustration for him....and for me, as his Momma.  Long gone are the days of my shy, quiet Andrew.  But, I am excited for this new adventure.  Andrew's school adventure.

An adventure where I don't need to be worried or scared for my little guy.  But, an adventure where we can be excited and super proud of our Andrew because of the sweet, smart, and outgoing guy that he is!

 


No comments: