Monday, October 8, 2012

The Big 3-2 and a Pumpkin Patch

Yep, that's right.  I turned 32 yesterday.  I feel great, but man, does that number sound kinda old.

The thing about getting older is that I find myself growing more into myself.  Every year...it gets better and better.  I won't go into details, but I think you know what I'm sayin'.

What I will go into details about is what I wanted to do for my big day.  I wanted to go to the pumpkin patch.  And, not just any pumpkin patch, but the one we go to every year: Pome on the Range.



It's a family tradition.  Four years in the running.

 

 It's not fancy.  There's no big corn maze.  No fancy games.  Just a pumpkin patch.  Oh, and a really fun slide.  And, some ducks you can feed.  And, a mule drawn cart that takes you out to the real pumpkin patch.






I may be old-fashioned, but that's what I prefer.  Simple.  Fun for the kids.  Not crazy and super busy.  Not expensive.  Just what I needed on my birthday.  Simple time with my family and friends.

"Mom, get over here!  I found the Great Pumpkin!" 


Andrew loved to throw the pumpkins.  He kept saying, "Ball!" and then he'd pick one up and chuck it. 





Parker and our friend Quinn

It was perfect.

I have the sweetest boys.

So, there was one part about this day that wasn't so great.  And, as much as I don't want to write about it, I think my feelings about it are a huge example of how comfortable I am in life.  How thankful I am for everything we have.  And, as I mentioned, every year I feel even more satisfied with life.

Here's the not-so-great part: We lost the house that we really wanted.  Someone else fell in love with it and has the capability to buy it right now.  We got this news yesterday afternoon.

We were sad for a few minutes and felt like we'd been blown away.  I think we were just surprised.  We didn't think this was going to happen and we had dreams of moving out there and we were so so so excited about this change in our life.  But, then we remembered something - that house isn't what makes our home so great.  It's us.

We love our current home and neighborhood and we are fine with where we are at.

So, the not-so-great news made us feel sad for a while, but then we perked up and decided to call it quits on this whole 'new house' thing.  So, now, I've got a list.  Some might call it a 'honey-do' list, but it's more of a 'make it what we want' list.  And, we are going to have fun with it!

We are so thankful for everything that we've got.

I think this year of being 32 is going to be wonderful.  It may not be what we 'planned' it to be, but it's going to be great - maybe a different kind of great from what we've been talking about for the past 6 months, but great nonetheless.

Happy Brooketober!





2 comments:

Alana said...

You are such a good mom. I love following your blog. You have a darling family. It makes my heart happy to know friends are doing well in life, especially to know they are staying close to Jesus and family in priorities. -Alana

brookeriffel335 said...

Alana- You are so sweet! I also read your blog! I love to read about other mom's experiences and how they are raising their children...somehow it makes it easier for me as a mom! :)