Thursday, April 18, 2013

Arms Flailing

Okay, so I had this whole plan to write about how I've been feeling like an awful mom lately...like my arms are flailing and I'm struggling just to keep my head above water.  You see, Brandon was out of town for a few days this week and for some reason, my patience was running thin. 

BUT...

I've changed my mind.  No one wants to read about my short-comings.

And, when there's so much heart break in our country right now, so much division, and so much grief...my minor issues don't seem to be important enough to write about.

Instead I'm thinking about our entire country.  I'm wondering what in the world is going on with people and violence...and why we don't all seem to be on the same side about guns and safety.  And, things like chemical explosions, well they scare the dickens out of me.

Right now it seems like everyone in our country has their arms flailing.

These things all happened while Brandon was away from us.  Maybe that's why my patience was thinner than usual.  Because I was scared.  Scared about him getting on an airplane to travel hundreds of miles away.  Scared because I didn't have him to hug when, just two days after I ran a half marathon, there were bombs exploding at one of the biggest races in the world...a race that I used to dream about running in.

This is a sad week for our country. 

But I've been praying- praying for peace, for the victims in Boston and now in Texas, praying for safe travels, and praying that our leaders can agree on something that will help control outrageous violence in our country...which I believe is a mixture of tighter gun control and mental health care.

I'm lucky though.  I've been able to hold my boys close this week...even wanting them to sleep with me while Brandon was out of town.  Today I will get to take Parker to his Kindergarten visit day and take Andrew to get a much needed haircut.  I'll be able to go running tonight with some girlfriends and Brandon is making his special chili tonight for dinner.

So, although, I've had many moments this week where my arms have been flailing...right now I feel like there are more important things to worry about, to pray on, and to think about.  And, in moments like this, I look at my family and friends, my job, and my safety, and I am so thankful for all of this in my life.

My heart goes out to all of the victims of recent tragedies in our country.  I am thinking of you.





No comments: