Friday, April 12, 2013

Bakin' Up Some Cookies


There's one thing around our house that we can all agree on - I We make the best chocolate chip cookies.


It all started on a snow day.  I thought I'd whip up a batch (it had been years since I'd make chocolate chip cookies) and when they turned out pretty good...the next week I whipped up some more.


Well, since then we've made a lot of chocolate chip cookies.  Pot-Luck Dinners: We make cookies.  Family Gatherings: We make cookies.  A friend has a new baby: We make cookies.  Every Sunday evening: We make cookies.  We will use absolutely any excuse to make these cookies.


They are so simple.  Straight out of The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook {with one minor adjustment}.  The simpler, the better is what I always say.


And...the other night Parker said he wanted to help make the cookies.  So, of course, Andrew wanted to help also.


My cup runneth over.

This was Andrew's first attempt at 'helping' to bake cookies...and, let me just say...I have a couple of incredible bakers on my hands.  Watch out ladies...they'll win you over with their mad baking skills.


I can remember growing up baking with my mom.

And, I'm one lucky Momma to be sharing this with my boys.

{Not to mention that because they love doing this...we get more cookies!}

Here's our super easy recipe:

1/2 Cup Butter - Softened (I use Land O Lakes unsalted butter)
1/2 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt (this is my addition to the recipe...I mean, seriously, cookies without salt?!)
2 Eggs
2 1/2 Cups Flour
Chocolate Chips (I only use half a bag...you may want more or less)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Using a mixer, mix up the Butter and Shortening, until well combined.  Add the sugars, baking soda, and salt and mix that in with the butter and shortening.  Stir in the eggs.  Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough forms.  Throw in the chocolate chips (giving a few to your little helpers, if you're lucky enough to have some).

Next, eat a few bites of the dough.

Drop onto a cookie sheet with a spoon and bake at 350 degrees for around 8 to 10 minutes (we like our cookies a little on the raw side).

Mmmmm...I'm wanting one of these cookies with a big glass of milk.

Enjoy!

No comments: