Monday, August 12, 2013

A Walk Down Memory Lane

For a weekend 'at home' this weekend seemed to be super busy and go by super fast.  I think it went by so fast because it's our last weekend before school starts...and I've been begging time to slow down, but it knows I want it to slow down, so it actually seems to be going faster.  I'll share more with you about time later this week, as we prepare to send Parker off to Kindergarten and Andrew back to Sherry's house, but for now I have a memory to share.

I love telling this story.

Ten years ago, Brandon and I were in San Francisco.

It was absolutely amazing.

Brandon was taking classes for a Microsoft Certification (I love a good geek conference) he needed for work and he asked me to tag along with him.  I'd never been to California before so I was extremely excited to go on this trip with him and see a part of our country I'd never been to.

After his class one day, Brandon told me that the guys in his class said there was this beautiful bay that we just had to go see while in the area.  I thought it sounded like a fun idea, so we got in the car and drove for about twenty minutes...and then we stopped...in traffic...for what seemed like forever.

I was getting crabby, as I often do when I'm hungry...and stuck in traffic.

 I remember telling Brandon, "Why don't we just stop over here and get something to eat!  I'm so hungry!  Ugh!  I hate traffic!"  Poor guy.  I'm surprised he still went through with it.

Then, finally...we reach Half Moon Bay.  We pulled over into a small gravel parking lot and hiked to to the top of a cliff looking over the bay.  It was breathtaking.  Beautiful.  My grouchiness faded away with the wind and I was overcome with peace and love and happiness that Brandon would want to share this moment with me.



We were standing there admiring the view and when I turned to Brandon to say that I was sorry for the way I acted in the car and that this was totally worth the drive, the traffic, and the waiting...there he was...down on one knee.

With a little white box in his shaking hand.

With a smile (that I love), the words came out: "Brooke, will you marry me?"  I melted.

Of course, I said "Yes!"


And, my sweet hubby to be, he'd thought of everything.  I didn't even notice on the walk to the top of the cliff, that he'd lugged a little cooler, the camera, a blanket, and a little picnic basket.  He was ready - with champagne, cheese and crackers, and little cupcakes and cookies.


We sat at Half Moon Bay for quite a while, simply listening to the sea lions below, watching the sun fade away, and enjoying each other.


After that, we decided to walk around the Bay and we found the sweetest little Italian Restaurant to eat dinner.  We tried to call our parents from there, but we didn't have phone service...so, they had to wait until the next morning to find out that we were now engaged!

I love walking down this memory lane.  It takes me back to a time when we were so young and so naive.  We were so much in love...with no distractions...

Life sure has changed.  We are still very in love and, in fact, I believe we are more in love now than ever, but it's a fuller, different kind of love.

Happy Engagement Anniversary Day to Brandon!

And, Happy Monday to you all!






No comments: