Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Good Feeling

Don't you love it when something you've worked and worked on comes together as something amazing for other people? Don't you especially love it when those people are kids? Now, I am involved in many Boards, Committees, Chamber Task Forces, etc, but nothing compares to the feeling I get when I am doing something spectacular for kids. On Saturday, it all came together...a group of four of us that sit on the Ottawa Chamber Events and Promotions Committee put it on. The 2nd Annual Franklin County Family Fun Fest was just that- FUN! Now, I'm not just talking about fun for a few people in the community, but fun for almost 300 people! And, not just some people, it was fun for families, and most importantly, KIDS!

These kids had an AWESOME time- bouncing in the moonwalk, playing the "gamewalk", getting gooey with Fear Factor, making an Easter Craft to take home, getting an animal balloon from Grampa Pokey, competing with their friends on two Wii's, hula hooping, jump roping, relay racing, eating pizza, winning prizes, and just hanging out with their families!

Now, I'll admit...this is some work. On Saturday morning, I didn't want to get up early, I was kind of dreading working at this all day and wishing I could just take my kids and enjoy it, but in the end, it was worth it all to see how much these families enjoyed it.

Everything I've mentioned above was donated in one way or another, and did I mention that every child left with a gift and a medal for participation? We gave away a Nintendo DS, and iPod Touch, a 32 inch TV, a Weber Grill, many gift cards, coupons, games, and much more! The smiles on the kid's faces were priceless!!!

This was open to everyone in our community and the admittance was the donation of a toiletry item to the Franklin County Leadership Class project- A Fresh Start for Franklin County. Did you know that most family assistance programs don't give out toiletry items? Most family assistance programs only give out food to families in need, not toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, laundry detergent, etc. So, this was one way to gather items for "A Fresh Start for Franklin County." (Did I mention how proud I am of my community for all of the good things we are doing for others in the community?)

Not only did I get to see other kids enjoying the Family Fun Fest- I saw how it impacted my own family. Parker especially loved the balloons and so did Andrew! Parker ate pizza, hula hooped (or tried to hula hoop), colored, laughed, and left feeling special. Events like this are amazing in what they provide for kids!!

It truly is a good feeling to know that I've done something for the lives of so many people in my community. That is why I volunteer on so many boards and committee's in my community- to make a difference. What a good feeling!

I was so busy running around on Saturday, making sure everything was going as planned, that I only took this one photo. The boys were loving it!

No comments: