Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"What Are They In To?"

Yesterday we were hanging out at the OU softball/baseball fields enjoying watching the Lady Braves and Braves play....Parker and his friends were running around throwing balls, climbing on practice nets, and running down hills, while Andrew was peacfully perched on my lap taking in the scene. I was gabbing away with some of the other moms when one of the coaches wives (who also has two little boys) asked me, "So, what is Parker in to these days?" This question got my mind reeling and I thought it would be fun to document what the boys are in to right now! Here is a "Top Ten" of what my boys are "in to."

I'll start with Andrew....


1. Andrew absolutely loves his brother- anything that Parker is doing, Andrew will watch and giggle at. And, Parker loves to make him laugh!



2. Anytime Andrew is fussy, if we put him in his exersaucer, he automatically lights up and starts jumping and playing with his exersaucer toys. Now...I have a friend (Lilli) that once told me that when she nannied, they called the exersaucer "the circle of neglect" because they could put the kids in it and leave them there while they were off doing other things. Well, I totally agree and what a lifesaver it is!! It's a good thing Andrew is "in to" the exersaucer!



3. My youngest son has always loved his play gym! Maybe because it was his first Christmas gift from him Mom and Dad or maybe because whenever he is on it, Parker somehow squeezes in to join him....whatever the reason, he kicks and flails his arms and makes a happy monkey face every time he plays on it!



4. The fish-mobile was a hand-me-down from Parker and whenever it's dark and we turn on the fish-mobile, there is silence from both Andrew and Parker. Mezmorized....

5. Bottle. Milk (formula). Andrew loves his bottle- he is definitely "in to" his bottle!

6. I know I can always get a giggle out of Andrew if I give him millions of kisses on his chubby little neck and cheeks!! This is a favorite of mine too- I get to give him smooches and hear him giggle!



7. Andrew is definitely "in to" sitting on Brandon's lap with dad's arm around him. He'll sit there, so content, for hours...watching basketball, playing on the iPad, and just listening to conversation.

8. Every time our Bella Girl walks by Andrew, he follows her and smiles. He is "in to" his Bella Girl...and she is "in to" him. Going into his room whenever he is sleeping (and if she hears the slightest noise from his room, she is the first one in there).

9. Bath time! Andrew loves to be in the bathtub, espcially if Parker is in there with him- silly boys!



10. Being Outdoors!!! Oh my do my boys like to be outside! I am so happy that the weather has changed and we can now spend countless hours play, play, playing outside!! Andrew loves to feel the breeze on his face and he loves to watch the neighborhood kids run around, squealing with delight as the chase, throw balls, draw with chalk, and ride their bikes!! So fun!



Now for Parker's top ten (this was harder because there are so many things that my busy 3.5 year old is "in to").

1. Being Outside! We have so much fun outdoors, here's why: Our neighborhood is full of kids- 14 (plus a few more around the block) of them to be exact! We are always out in the driveway running from house to house to play with each other's toys. We have so much fun in the Spring and Summer time, we couldn't ask for a better neighborhood!! We also have a new play set which gives all of the neighborhood boys a place to play pirate ship, build things, explore, etc. Parker is really "in to" being outside doing anything!



2. I know that camping isn't really a thing, so much, but it is definitely something that Parker is "in to." Every now and then Parker will wake up in the morning and tell me that he's been dreaming about camping....he also will talk about camping before falling asleep- about camping trips we've been on and camping trips we have yet to take (He'll say, "Mom, you do know that Andrew has never been camping?!"). He talks about his cousins going with him, Bella being there, cooking marshmallows on the campfire, and yes, even going #2 outdoors while camping (he is a boy, afterall!). We've been on a few camping trips, but I see a lot more in our future!



3. Games and Puzzles!! This winter (you know, the one where we were snowed in for days and days) Parker really got into games and puzzles and it seemed like every time I went to the store, I was picking up a new game or puzzle to do to make the long winter days a little more fun. Here are a few of Parker's favorites: Zingo, Candyland, United States floor puzzle, ABC floor puzzle, UNO Farm Game, and Elefun....to name a few. Here lately the United States puzzle has been his absolute favorite and he even made up a song to sing while we're doing it and I find myself singing it now, "Nited States, Nited States, 1, 2, 3, 4..." Repeated over and over and over again.



4. I got Brandon an iPad 2 for his birthday and when Parker found out we were getting Dad a new iPad, I told him that now we could share the old one...his response, "Mom, I think I would rather have the new one!" So, even though (in my opinion), the old iPad and the new iPad are completely alike, Parker insists on using the new one to play the games that he loves. Parker (and Brandon) are "in to" the new iPad 2. Here are some of Parker's favorite games (and if any of you have a 3 year old and an iPad, I highly recommend these games when you have something that you absolutely need to get done- like feed a 4 month old- and you need to occupy your 3 year old): The Goo Game, Gravity (both of these games are way over my head), Angry Birds, The Ball Game (I'm not sure that is what this is really called), Super Why, and Tozzle.



5. One of the things I've loved the most about being a parent is finding a timeless toy that my kids will love as much as I did when I was a kid (or, in most cases, when Brandon was a kid...being as I have two boys). One toy that Parker is "in to" that is something that both Brandon and I loved as kids is LEGOS! We have so many legos! Tubs and tubs of legos! And, when they are all dumped out in the play room....Parker has the most fun because that is when he can build super tall towers, bridges, and other funny things that his huge imagination comes up with!!


6. I never thought I'd be the kind of mom that loved having Play-Doh in the house. But, Play-Doh has become a friend of mine...and something that Parker is definitely "in to." Play-Doh is the special toy in our house. It's something we get to do when Parker asks nicely and when he is being extra good. Play-Doh has become a bargaining tool for me. Play-Doh (and Play-Doh accessories) has become something that can be a surprise from the store...that isn't way overpriced and expensive. And, because Parker is so "in to" Play-Doh, we have a tub kept in the play room that is just for Play-Doh and Play-Doh accessories. Yes, Parker is "in to" Play-Doh!

7. As with most typical boys, Parker is "in to" Hot Wheels cars. Parker has a race track and a suitcase full of race cars- big cars, little cars, loud cars, you name it, boys like cars! With the second Cars movie coming out soon (and with the addition of another boy to our family), I know this is a collection that is going to grow and grow. The best part about Hot Wheels is that Brandon still has a few race tracks and cars from when he was a kid that they get out and play with sometimes. These are Parker's favorites and I love how excited he gets when Brandon pulls out the taped up 1979 Hot Wheels race track from the basement. I hope someday, Parker will be able to do the same for his boys and that they will be as "in to" racing Hot Wheels as Parker is!

8. For Christmas one gift Parker got was a set of explorer stuff (from Santa). And, out of everything that Parker got for Christmas, the explorer stuff (and his umbrella) are some of his favorite things. Parker is "in to" exploring....whether he's out at the farm looking for snakes, bugs, and frogs, or if he's in the basement with a bug catcher full of plastic bugs (and fish and whatever else he can find), Parker has his backpack full of his explorer things and he loves to look for stuff! Binoculars, bug catcher, compass, creature grabber, and a field guide fill his backpack and go with him whenever he is exploring!



9. Since the weather has become nicer (well, for about a week it was nice), Parker has had a chance to get out and show us what outdoor games he's "in to" this year. Parker has always been really good at soccer and this year he is really showing his skills! With his soccer ball in tow, he will make his way to whatever house we're playing at for the evening outdoors and he'll play, play, play with that soccer ball all evening long! And, because he is a boy and boys typically love sports...Parker is also "in to" golf (with his own real clubs from Aunt Lauryn), basketball, and baseball.



10. There's nothing Parker is "in to" more than his brother, and his Bella Girl. Parker always wants to be near both of them...making Andrew giggle with delight and snuggling up close to Bella as he sleeps are two of his favorite things to do. Parker is not only "in to" Andrew and Bella, but I think he's "in love" with both of them too!



So...here are a few things that my boys are currently "in to." Thank you, Vonnie, I'm so glad you asked!

No comments: