Sunday, May 8, 2011

Before I Was A Mom...

I've always loved this poem....and it just seems right to post it today! Happy Mother's Day!

(I've added my own comments under each statement.)

Before I was a Mom I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into bed.
(I TOTALLY took advantage of sleep....right now, I would love to get more than 4 hours of sleep at a time, but I don't think I would trade this time in my life for anything.)
I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.
(Okay, so I admit to not brushing my hair every day...or washing it everyday when the boys were little babies, but I ALWAYS brushed my teeth!)

Before I was a Mom
I cleaned my house each day.
(Yep.)
I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.
(I love my house with toys....a family lives here.)
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
(Ummm....I am poisonous to plants- they don't live here.)
I never thought about immunizations.
(Andrew has his 6 month immunizations coming up :( ).

Before I was a Mom I had never been puked on.
(Caught puke in my hands in the middle of a restaurant and it didn't even phase me!)
Pooped on. Spit on.
(Pooped on yesterday. Spit on this morning.)
Chewed on.
(My shoulder has a constant wet mark from Andrew chewing on it.)
Peed on.
(Twice on Friday.)
I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.....
(What mind??)
I slept all night.
(Never again.)

Before I was a Mom
I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests.
(Scariest thing in the world.)
Or give shots.
(Worst feeling in the world.)
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
(I get teary just thinking about this.)
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
(Ha ha....every day this happens to me!)
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.
(I love sleeping babies!)


Before I was a Mom
I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down.
(Ahhh.....the snuggles from a sleeping baby are priceless.)
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
(Yes. This is what it feels like when your child is hurting.)
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
(Wow! This is an understatement.....CHANGE your life so much.)
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
(More love than I ever thought possible.)
I never knew I would love being a Mom.
(Before you have your kids, you never know this kind of love...or how much you will love motherhood.)


Before I was a Mom
I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
(Yep.)
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
(I am obsessed with feeding my hungry baby!)
I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
(It's one of the best feelings in the world.)
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.
(My kids give me meaning and a purpose in life.)

Before I was a Mom
I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
(This is what happens when they sleep all night....I am still awake every 10 minutes to make sure they are still sleeping!)
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom.

I'm going to add some more of my own thoughts....

Before I was a Mom, I didn't really know my Mom. Her sacrifices, her love, and her reason for doing so many things during my childhood were all a secret to me, until I became a Mom. My respect for her is huge and I am thankful for everything she has taught me and given me to become the Mom that I am today! Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

I would also like to say Happy Mother's Day to my Mother-In-Law, Julie, and my Step-Mom, Debbie. Thank you both for the love and support that you give to me and our family!!! We will see you soon!!!








No comments: