Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Poppy

On Good Friday our beloved Poppy passed away and {as I believe} he has now passed on to heaven to be reunited with his sweetheart.


{January 2009}

Poppy is Brandon's Grandpa.


{January 2009}

Yes, that means we've lost two of the most influential men in our lives within one month of each other. We are sad. Our families have broken hearts. But, the one thing we know about both of our grandfathers: They lived long and full lives and they have moved on.


{Poppy in his younger days}

When I think about Poppy, I remember the first time I met him on the first trip Brandon and I ever made to Colorado together and just how much Martha and Leon welcomed me. I remember watching them open up their arms and hearts to me and my family, as if we belonged with them. I remember them dancing at our wedding and I remember hoping that one day, Brandon and I would be just like they were. I remember their silly Christmas gifts {Brandon, do you remember the 'gold heart-shaped box'?}, eating at Soup or Salad, eating crab dip, eating meatloaf with chutney {I never knew what chutney was until I met Martha}, and not only feeling full because of all of the wonderful food, but also full because of how both Martha and Leon made me feel.

I remember how Leon did not want to waste anything and how everything that we threw away had to be the smallest possible size before it was placed in the trash bin. I remember how proud Poppy was of all of his grandkids, and all of his great-grandkids, and how every time we would visit him at the 'Inn', he wanted to parade his great-grandkids around so all of the ladies could dote on them.

I remember Poppy's comments about my short hair...his thoughts on 'short skirts', and just how much his opinions mattered to me. I know he could never hear a word I said, but somehow we managed to communicate throughout the past 10 years and I enjoyed talking with him.

I remember the day Grammy passed on...and I know part of Poppy died that day with her. We all know he hasn't been the same since she passed away and just how much he wished he could have gone with her.

I know they are together now.


{Leon and Martha dancing at our wedding in 2004}

The last time we visited with Poppy was this past July on our annual summer trip to Colorado. I remember the first visit with Poppy where Parker took the time to 'play' with Poppy and interact with him...and, although, Poppy could not hear well, I can remember the kids and him laughing together and it warms my heart to have this memory.


{July 2011}


{July 2010}


{July 2010}

Poppy met Andrew for the first time on our last trip and it's amazing to watch a man of Poppy's age light up, just at the sight of a new great-grandchild.


{July 2011}


{July 2011}

I know my kids, my nieces, and Brandon's cousins kiddos will always remember Poppy's flying hands as his way of playing with them.

I've only known Poppy for ten years or so, and I know Brandon and Dana have so many memories with him that I don't know about, so I haven't even touched the surface of what Leon meant in the lives of his children and his grandchildren.



But, I know Poppy will live on through his family, as I see qualities and traits in Brandon that I know he learned from his Grandpa. He will live on in our hearts and in our memories as a man that exemplifies the true meaning of the 'greatest generation', and a man who we all respect and love.

May you rest in peace, Poppy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poppy did welcome your family with open arms! I will always remember his humor and making me feel welcome in his home. Thanks for the post- it was another beautiful one.

Love,
Auntie April