Thursday, June 16, 2011

An Unexpected Day...

What do you do when you find out a day ahead of time that daycare is closed the next day...well, if you're a working mom, you rack your brain for a grandparent, aunt, neighbor, or some other kind of back-up plan. It's not that I don't want to stay home with the kiddos, it's just that I would prefer to save my vacation days for fun vacation days and save my sick days for when someone gets sick. But this time, the grandparents were all busy, aunts were working, and we don't really have any other kind of a back-up because usually one of those works out for us! SO- I asked my boss if I could take a sick day on Thursday (no one wants to use up their vacation like that!) and stay home with my boys.

Let me just say that I am so blessed to have such caring bosses- they know what it's like to be a parent and they know we put our family first and are flexible with our time off!! So, of course, Janet said that was fine!!

What a fun "unexpected day" at home we had!! I love being at home with nothing planned and no schedule to keep!! That hardly ever happens and when it does- it is usually completely unexpected!! We played outside, and then when the clouds rolled in, we played inside....we ate waffles for breakfast and made pizza for lunch. We watched "Rio" (one or our new movies) and played Dr. Seuss Memory. Parker and Andrew built a farm and played with all of the "Little People" that we could find. When Andrew napped we played with Play-Doh and painted. And, in-between all of the playing, I managed to get all of the laundry done and clean out a few of our cabinets. What a great day to be at home...the weather even played in my favor with it pouring down rain all day (who wants to go to work or be out running errands when it's pouring rain outside?!)!!

We haven't had much down time this spring and summer...and this "unexpected day" was much needed for this momma!





No comments: