Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Living The Simple Life

Do you remember my resolution for 2012? The one where I vowed that my family was going to 'take it easy' this year and live a life of simplicity?

And, do you know those moments that you never want to end? Those weekends where you're with your family and you wish you could just live in the moment forever?



I think those two things go hand in hand, don't you? It seems that more and more I am perfectly content when we are living the simple life and I never want those moments to stop.

And, who knew, we would find this simple life in a new adventure.

On Friday we packed up, we stocked up on towels, sheets, dishes, pants, shorts, sandals, and tenny's, we brought along water, snacks, and enough food it seemed to feed my family for two weeks {rather than two days}. That's right...we stocked up the new camper and headed out to conquer our first adventure...Pomona Lake.



Now, we've been to Pomona Lake before. Some of you may remember the birthday parties we've had out there and some of you may remember that we would take Bella out there {before kids} and let her tromp through the lakeside chasing her ball, showing her true Lab skills at swimming, but this time we were trying out something new...two days of camping with two little boys and a dog...I debated in my mind whether this really would be a relaxing, 'simple' weekend. And, as it turns out, this is just what our family needs to unwind and be 'simple'.



Let me tell you, it was 'simple' living at it's best. No TV, no cell phone service, beautiful trees, a playground, a nature trail, a running creek with tons of rocks for throwing, a 'troll' bridge, beautiful campsites, stars in the sky, campfires, and an unlimited supply of fresh air.

We went exploring...



We went climbing and sliding at the playground, we made new 'camping' friends, we threw rocks in the water and played in the sand...





Then we threw more rocks in and played even longer in the sand...




More rocks and sand...




We built sand castles at the beach and played in the {freezing cold} water...







We went fishing {catching only frogs}...





We cooked out, had a campfire, snuggled up on the brisk, cool mornings, played with cousins and grandparents, read books, went on wagon rides, took naps, and we even had time for a little Big Foot hunting, and when it was all said and done, I believe I had the dirtiest, stinkiest, but happiest boys on earth.






Not to mention that Sunday was Brandon's birthday. And, we celebrated in true Brandon fashion...by eating some BBQ and having S'Mores.



Like so many of you, my family is at it's best when we are together, living life in its simplest form. And, this weekend, I believe we captured the meaning of the simple life. {If only I could bottle it up and drink it down every time life got busy.} In fact, I think we mastered it. The best part: We are slowing down. We are taking the time to focus on what really matters...what is going to give our kids the time and the memories they deserve in this life. We are doing this, and in return, I am feeling their comfort, their peace, and their happiness and I know we are doing this parenting thing the right way {well, most of the time anyways}.




We've got many more days to come in our new 'simple' life and with our new camping adventures. But, for now, I'm still living in this moment, in the weekend we just had.

**And, as a side note, I am keeping a journal of our travels with the camper. Stay tuned to hear my review of the Outlet Park Campground at Pomona Lake.

Here are some more of my favorite photos from our trip...



Me: "Are you sure you don't want to stop playing in the sand and go home and clean your feet?" Parker and Andrew: "No!!!!"


No comments: