Sunday, March 11, 2012

Weekend

Wow, what a weekend we had. Who knew we would have such a wonderful weekend, after all that has happened in the past few weeks.

Why is it that we only get to see our 'extended' family at major holidays, funerals, and weddings...and for those that live far, far away, we don't always get to see them at even these times? Let me tell you- I am sad about Grandpa's passing, but you know what he did? He brought us all together.

He brought together cousins, 2nd cousins, neighbors and employees {from the past 50 years}, grandkids, great grandkids, great great grand kids, people I haven't seen for 25 years {that I don't remember in person, only in photographs}, great aunts, and even the ex-wives {including my Mom}. It was truly a celebration and it was one amazing day of remembrance and reconnecting with family and friends.

Here's what I wish I would have done on Saturday:

1) Taken more photographs. I wasn't sure what the etiquette was on taking photos on the day of a funeral....but, I quickly learned that the next time {which I hope is a LONG way off}, I am bringing out my camera earlier and getting pictures of all of these people we never get to see.

2) I wish I had my dad's eulogy recorded....written down...memorized, so share with you. It was funny, informative, sad, and it wrapped up everything that my Grandpa would have wanted to have said about him on this day. Dad- you were incredible and I am so proud of you and your story-telling!

Now, here are some of the photos I have from that day. Keep in mind, that most these were all taken about five hours after the funeral service....we were all tired, out of our 'nice' clothes, and just hanging out at the graveside, saying our final goodbyes to Grandpa, but these are better anyways...this is how we really are.

The boys were getting restless {they did so good!} so we promised them a trip to the park in between events on Saturday...my sisters and brother joined us. It was just what we needed.






Rest in peace, Grandpa. Look at how beautiful and strong my Grandma is. It was a perfect day to celebrate the life of my Grandpa.



After spending Friday and Saturday away from home and surrounded by family, we wanted Sunday to be pretty low-key...normal...back in our routine. But, as most crazy weekends go, there's a million things that are goin' on and you can't miss out on anything- right?!

On Sunday, Parker performed in is first bells concert at church. He did such a good job! You see, Parker has dreamt about this day since we first started attending Westminster. Every time there's a bells performance, he would ask, "Mom, have you signed me up for this yet?!" And, all we had to do was wait until he was old enough to go to Sunday School, where they practice the kid's bells choir, and time just couldn't go fast enough for my little man to have his chance to play the bells.

And, we all know how much Parker loves to perform in front of an audience! {Video to be posted soon.}




He loved it. And, we were so proud of him!

Luckily, Sunday afternoon had a nap in it for Andrew and I....



Parker and Brandon got some projects done around the house...

And, we even had time to watch Home Alone, in our very own private movie theater {designed by Parker and Andrew}. You'll notice that some of our animal friends enjoyed the movie right along with us.



And, because I haven't had any time to go to the grocery store for at least two weeks, we finished out this weekend with breakfast for dinner....a bath for the boys...and a little Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....it was nice to be at home and back in our routine. And, don't worry, I've got a big trip to the grocery store planned tomorrow morning!

After this weekend our hearts are full and we are ready to take on this week!

I wish safe travels to my family who came to Kansas on Saturday and I hope everyone can find peace in Grandpa's passing and know that he is laughing at all of us for crying!

Happy Monday!

No comments: