Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Camp at the Farm

I believe this is the 3rd year now.  The 3rd Annual Summer Camp at the Farm.  Four days when my Mom and my Step-Dad loose their minds and decide to take on four little boys.  What I love about this is that I remember spending time at my grandparent's farm when I was a child.  I remember climbing the fence to feed the horses, climbing on the hay stacks, finding a snake in the barn {eeek!}, wearing grandma's oversized hats, eating stuff I was never allowed to eat at home, having sleepovers on the floor, and just being a kid on a farm.  Those are memories I hold dear to my heart, especially now that my grandpa has passed and those memories are all that I have.

I love summer camp because it's a tradition for these boys.  It's something they look forward to every summer and they know that they'll get to spend time with their cousins {without parents}, they'll get to stay up late, eat popsicles, swim in the {teeny tiny} pool, take care of the animals, and be super duper silly.  It's something they will always treasure and something they will remember about their grandparents when they are grown.

Because I don't know all of the stories behind these photos, I can't give you my words to go with these photos, so I've asked Parker to help me out.

Here we go.

This one is easy.  Every year the boys paint a bench that will forever be on the farm.  The put the year and their hand prints and they write their own names.  They wear old, big shirts and get paint everywhere, but this is something they look forward to every year.


 This is Parker and Grandpa in the garden.  My mom has a wonderful garden.  It is full of cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach/salad, peas, zucchini, onions, garlic, and so much more.  These boys will go out there, pick a pea off of the vine and eat it.  Just like that.  No ranch dressing needed.


These boys love to be outdoors.  And, when it's hot, they need shade.  Never mind that there are huge trees out at the farm.  They make a tent out of an old sheet, grab their coloring books and spend the afternoon coloring in their tent.  This was day one.


This is Andrew and Grandpa going to visit the goats.  What is it about goats?  I'll tell you.  They are gentle.  They will eat leaves out of your hand {or anything else for that matter}.  Baby goats will run and jump and play like a puppy.  And, they are cute {kinda}.



 My sweet little Andrew loves hats.  But, I never knew he loved to play the kazoo while wearing a hat.  This is a talent he acquired while at summer camp.  Let's just say we left the kazoos at the farm.


This is a kazoo band.  They love to play the kazoo in their pajamas.  What more do I need to say?


This year at summer camp the boys made visors.  They are very pretty.  Sparkley.  They have planets and letters on them, with no rhyme or reason.  I love the visor because it gets these boys crafty.  Oh, and they are awfully good piano players...with their visors on.


Here is Parker and Cameron painting the bench.  Parker says: "Mom, first you have to brush the bench to get the old paint off.  Then you can put the new paint on.  It's dusty."


What is is about a swimming pool and {lack of} swim trunks for these boys?  Every year they end up swimming in their skivvies.  I swear...one day these photos will resurface...like at a high school graduation party or when I hot date arrives.  Rest assured, those Super Man undies will go down in the scrapbook hall of fame.


Every year the boys make a tie-dyed shirt.  This year they made 4, each.  They also eat lemonade popsicles, made by grandma.  In this photo, Andrew looks like a loner...or maybe those big boys ran him off.  Either way, it makes me want to run over and snuggle him!


Parker said they are eating more popsicles and goat watching in this photo.  Sounds good to me!


This was their last day at summer camp.  When we pick them up, they are very stinky, sweaty, tired boys.  Their cheeks are sun-kissed, they have a few chiggers, and they are wearing rubber boots.   They are dirty, sticky, and they look like they haven't slept in days.  But, know this, they look about a foot taller, have huge smiles on their faces, and their hearts are full of love from their grandparents who decided to give up their four days to focus on their grandsons.


One photo says it all...

 

Thanks Grandma Robbie and Grandpa Mahlon for volunteering to have summer camp at your house every year.  This is a tradition that will last forever {or at least until they're 18 years old}.  As the boys grow up, they are going to treasure these moments even more.  You are the best and these boys know it!  They love you so so much!

No comments: