Sunday, September 11, 2011

Just Kickin' It

There's three things that Parker loves to do when we're outside....go hunting for bugs, play golf, and play soccer. So, when my friend Julie told me that she'd signed her son up for soccer this fall, I knew that Parker would love to play....and, even though this time of year is super busy for us, I decided that we'd make the time every Saturday morning to give Parker a little glimpse of this sport he loves to play.

I'm so glad I did.

On Saturday morning, 11:15 am didn't come fast enough for my Parker-Man. And, as soon as we said we could leave the house and head out to the soccer field, Parker couldn't stop talking about what they were going to be doing at his first soccer practice (I'm not sure that they actually play...it's more teaching than anything).

All of you parents out there know this feeling: Will my son (or daughter) like this? Will they enjoy this time or will they be shy and act totally uninterested? Will he understand what the coaches are teaching him? Will he be ready to leave after five minutes of soccer? Will he be excited? Will he be good at it?

Parker amazed me on Saturday.

He listened intently as the coaches instructed.



He did the drills just perfectly.



He scored some goals.



And...most importantly...Parker had fun!





I've heard many parents say that "each new stage in their child's life is so much fun" and this day....this first day of Parker playing in an organized sport....I had fun. For Brandon and I, being involved in sports was such an important part of our childhood, we are so excited for what this will do for our boys.

We loved it.

And, Andrew...well, he's just about ready to go as well.





What a fun way to spend our Saturday morning. I can't wait for the years of game watching and practice going days to come!

No comments: