Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Brothers

This was the first {real} day of our week.  And, as I sit here, watching the DNC, {finally} eating my dinner of yogurt, grapes, and granola, I'm running all of the events of this week through my head.  I keep catching myself saying, "Oh, and don't forget to do this..." or, "Oh yes, I need to do that on Thursday..."  For a four day week, this one packs a lot of punch.

But, as I think about this week, my mind keeps wandering to something I realized today.  Today, after Parker repeatedly said that he wanted Andrew to go with him to gymnastics, that he didn't want Andrew to stay home and that he didn't want to go someplace without his brother.  Yep, I realized this: My boys, these sweet brothers, are never apart.

{Parker had his legs up on the chair and Andrew kept climbing up on them and then Parker's legs would fall and they would laugh and laugh and laugh!}

Sure, Brandon and I head our separate ways in the morning and go to work, while the boys {together} go to daycare.  When Brandon and I have a date night, the boys go {together} to grandma's house.  The boys snuggle {together} every night while they watch a 'show' before they go off to bed.  They are always together.


I've never known the concept of 'brothers'.  I had a sister.  And, then along came my younger half-siblings...my poor younger brother being the only boy.  Then, my sister and I got a step-brother.  I've never known brothers.  I've never witnessed a 'brotherly bond' before. 

Until now.


These boys are in love.  


Now, don't get me wrong.  They have their moments.  Parker likes to hoard the toys so Andrew can't get them.  Andrew loves to waller on his brother, sometimes so much that Parker gets mad.  But, aren't all of those moments part of this bond?


I love it that they are always together.  I know that because, in these early years, they have always been together, that they will always be close.  They'll always protect each other.  They will always respect each other.  As brothers.

{They love to get all of their stuffed animals on our bed and snuggle up to watch movies.}


So, while this week they will have a few moments of time when they are apart - Parker will go off to preschool and Andrew will start doing his 'own thing' at daycare and every Tuesday night when Parker goes to gymnastics, Andrew will go to Story Time at the Library - I know that this is growth and it is something they need to strengthen their bond.  But, oh man, do I love these brothers together.  In my mind and my heart, they are like puzzle pieces that fit together just right.  They are amazingly perfect for each other.  They are brothers.

No comments: