Sunday, November 11, 2012

Feather {Cinnamon} Rolls

I love these rolls.  To.  Die.  For.

My mom makes them all the time - she knows their our favorite.  I never even thought about attempting to make them myself...until the other day...when I was daydreaming about Christmas morning and I thought these cinnamon rolls would be perfect to wake up to that day.

They will be.  I can't wait.

So, of course, I had to practice...to make sure I could pull it off.  I mean, I have to use yeast and roll them out...make them just right.  Just like Mom does.

I made them perfectly, if I do say so myself.


Here's the recipe - straight from my Momma:

Feather rolls
 
1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons (one package) dry yeast
Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl.  Water should not be too hot or it will kill the yeast, but it needs to be warm enough to make the yeast grow.
 
After yeast is dissolved and slightly foamy, add:
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
Beat until smooth.
 
Warm 1 cup of milk in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, not quite to boiling.  Cool slightly.
 
Add 1/2 cup shortening to egg/yeast mixture, then add warm milk and stir until most of the shortening is melted.  Not all of it will melt.
 
Add 4 cups of flour and beat until smooth (beating by hand with a wooden or plastic spoon works best).  Dough will be sticky.  {REALLY sticky...I found}
 
Cover bowl with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.  When ready to make cinnamon rolls, turn dough out on floured cutting board.  Divide dough in half and roll each half into about an 8x12 inch rectangle.  Spread each rectangle with melted margarine or butter, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Roll each rectangle up, starting with the long side.  Pinch the dough together at the edges when rolled up.  Cut into approximately 1" rolls and place in a baking dish, sides touching.  Let rise for about an hour.  Bake in 350 degree oven about 20 minutes or until golden brown.  {It took my oven about 40 minutes to bake until they were golden brown...start with 20 minutes and see how they do!}
 
Enjoy!
Love, MOM

See.  Straight from MOM.  Follow this recipe and they'll turn out just as yummy as mine did!  You can 
even sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on top for a little more sweetness.  

Perfect for Christmas morning.

{I almost forgot...these can be made without the cinnamon and sugar as a dinner roll!}

No comments: