Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Meaning of Christmas on Day 22

Every year I do it. I tell myself that this is the year I'm going to cut back on gifts and focus more on the real reason we are celebrating Christmas. But, I did it again...I've bought way too many gifts for my friends and family and I've spoiled myself with some new items, made and then eaten way too many treats, I've spent too much time worrying about what to buy, trying to make sure that I check everything off of my list.

And, today, as I sit in my office (and it's probably the super slowest day of the year), I find my mind wandering to such thoughts as this:

"What if I took all of the gifts back? Would my friends and family...and most importantly, my kids think that Christmas is fun? What if I made every gift I gave to my loved ones? Would they think they were just as nice as the name brand toys and clothes that I've spent hundreds of dollars on? Did I really need to buy myself a new pair of jeans yesterday? Did I really spend that much on gifts for my dog?"

Yes, these are all questions that I've asked myself this morning (it's going to be a long day if this keeps up). It's probably because I'm like the only person at work today. My boys are at home without me. And, maybe it's because the fun Christmas parties have all come and gone, the Christmas gifts are all wrapped and ready to go, the Christmas goodies are baked, and I find myself having time now....I guess it's become time to really think about why we do all of this Christmas Craziness.

Or, maybe it's because last night....this happened:

We have a Little People Advent Calendar. On December 25th, we will get to put baby Jesus in the manger and the Christmas scene will be complete. Last night, Parker, who has been counting down the days, started counting...one more time...just to make sure he knew exactly when Christmas is at our house...exactly when Santa would be making his way through our chimney.

But, instead of talking about Santa, about presents, and about all of the things he wanted for Christmas, Parker said, "Mom, it's only four more days until Jesus's birthday!" Wow. This is the year. Yes, this is the year that my oldest son learned the true meaning of Christmas. He's learned that Christmas is not about all of the presents (although they do brighten the day). It's not about the food. It's about a celebration of the birth of Christ.


(Parker listening closely during the children's sermon at church.)

And, while I don't claim to be super religious...I've certainly become more and more thankful for all of the Christmas blessings we have and I am thankful for the true reason to celebrate this season.

Merry Christmas my friends! May you find peace and joy in the celebration of Christmas and much happiness in the New Year!

No comments: