Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday Challenge

In my quest to find simplicity in 2012, I am going to start challenging myself every Wednesday to 'drop' something in our lives that takes away from the simple life we want to lead. These challenges aren't going to be forever....they won't take too much away from us, and they won't be awfully drastic. What they will do is give us more time, greater value, and help us find our simpler way of life.

Challenge #1: I am challenging myself to not purchase anything online for 30 days.

For those of you that know me, I am a self proclaimed online shop-a-holic. My most frequent stops are Gap, Old Navy, Snapfish, Etsy, Kohls, Pottery Barn Kids, Target, and the list goes on and on. I get a coupon in my email inbox....and I have to use it.

How does doing this make our life simpler, you might ask?! 1) I won't spend my spare time online, I'll spend it doing things with my family. 2) I won't spend money. We are fortunate to not have huge financial burdens...yes we have a few credit cards...and yes one of them has a constant balance...so shoot me, but what I'm hoping to do is this: cut back on spending = cut back on stuff. 3) I'm hoping this will cause me to really start thinking about what I'm buying, instead of 'just buying it because I have a coupon' or 'because it's on sale' and so that next January, when I clean out my closet...I won't have items that have never been worn, that are now on their way to the Goodwill. Imagine that.

So, Day #1 of my challenge is now over (I better put my computer away!). Only 29 more days to go....wish me luck!

No comments: